Who would rather read a long boring book when I can watch my favorite show or favorite sports team in action? However this chapter in a World is A Text takes a negative spin on television and actually presents reasons to why reading a text offers more structure than a television program. First of all just as the text said, a book has an author, someone that can take credit and ownership of what they have done, when I am watching a movie or television show I have no idea who to give credit to. The book also makes another good point that I can physically connect with a book because it can be held in my hands and carried with me wherever I go. However why would I want to carry around a two hundred page book, when I could stretch my feet out and watch television. The book also goes into detail that even though we may think television is free, when you add up the cost for television itself plus the monthly subscription it is actually much cheaper to just own a library card and check out a book.
This chapter also goes into that a book has an intended audience but television doesn’t because it could be intended for anyone. I also disagree with this because to me if I am watching a show I already know who it is intended for. If I see “SpongeBob” a cartoon show then I know it is for children but if “House” is on then I know it is intended for adults. To me the reason why television is so popular even though it is costly and doesn’t offer the same physical attachment as a book does is simply because people do not like reading two hundred pages book when they could easily watch a show on the TV. Television also attracts us in society because it is visual, we can see what’s taking place such as the explosions, car chases, love and drama. When reading a book the reader has to visualize those situations and events inside their minds.
Class Cancelled 3/15
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment