To be honest, rarely do I ever analyze a movie unless it's for a
class or a project. In my opinion movies are meant to be viewed
for fun with friends and family, as a way to get your imagination
to wander or to just relax. However the author of this piece believes
movies have a deeper meaning, which I would agree with. All movies are
packed with sexism, racism, cultural and social content but I believe
that it goes side by side with the society we live in. Before the civil
rights and woman's right movement movies always portrayed blacks as
inferior and women as housewives since that was the culture in those
days. Now in movies today women and blacks play larger, more significant
roles such as doctors, lawyers and business people because the culture
has changed. This is makes movies not only fun to watch but a great source
to discover how culture is expressed.
The first reading on I robot starts by explaining what goes into
making a movie. The business rules, filming, the plot and special
effects are all factors that should be taken into consideration when
making or even viewing a movie. He then talks about how I robot was
based on two books which Hollywood directors combined together to
create a single movie. The only problem that he believes viewers will
have with the movie is the essence of the movie is gone, which I don’t
believe is a big deal. Most movies today are made from books or are
re-makes of older movies that have been tweaked in some way to make
it more modern and appealing to the audience. Even the Twilight movies
which I have never seen because they look stupid are based on books and
I am certain that the books have lost some of its essence since they
have to make the movie appealing for children and young adults.
The second reading was on Star Wars. It basically explained how Star Wars
even though it took place in space, with robots and laser it is nothing
but a simple western flick. Just as western movies have good versus bad
and cowboys versus Indians, Stars Wars has the same good versus bad
conflict and just replaces the cowboys and Indians with Jedi’s and evil
empires.
Class Cancelled 3/15
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment